Thursday, November 18, 2010

Need help finding a cheap automatic-speed PC fan setup?

So I'm building a PC for the first time in ten years.



I'm seeing a bunch of fans these days that have variable speeds listed in their specs. This kind of use would be very handy as the noise level would go down substantially when I'm not using the computer (and it'll be in my bedroom so that is a concern).



The motherboard I'm planning on buying may or may not have a way to control the fan speed automatically (this would be idea if it actually supported it) but I wouldn't know how to connect the fans if it does. I know I absolutely do *not* want to have to manually change the speeds on the fans; basically I want to install them and forget them (while they are automatically controlled).



What is the easiest way to accomplish this goal while keeping it as cheap as possible? I need to be able to hook up at least 4-5 fans.Need help finding a cheap automatic-speed PC fan setup?
To do this you would need either:



1) A PWM-compatible motherboard and some way of daisy-chaining (connecting) multiple fans to just one of those headers (I've yet to personally see a motherboard with more than one PWM header, sadly). I didn't find too much about this, just the following links:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249226

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-rep



2) Special fans that sense the temperature and change their speed accordingly. Some can be found here, but I don't know how well they work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis



3) Probably not a solution for you, but... Get a good cooling case such as the Antec 902, a motherboard that supports PWM, and one PWM CPU fan. Keep the case fans at the lowest speeds. A good case such as the aforementioned Antec will be decently quiet AND it'll cool well nevertheless. This is the most expensive idea, but... It works well for me, as I'm using this exact setup right now. :)





By the way, standard fan headers are 3 pins, PWM headers just have 1 additional pin. You can plug 3-pinned fans into a PWM header and vice versa. I take it you know how easy it is to plug in a normal fan? Same for PWM fans. :D



Hope this helped, good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment