Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I get the right computer fan speed?

I want to build my first computer, but I am a little uncertain about how I need to manage fan speed.



How do I make sure that when I get it, the fans only blow full speed when it gets hot? Do I need to buy a fan controller? Do all the fans have thermometers? Are there BIOS settings I need to change? Does the OS I choose make a difference?



Here are all the parts I plan to get so you can get an idea:



Case (mid-ATX with bundled fans): COOLER MASTER Mystique RC-632S-KKN1-GP;

Motherboard (ATX, P43): GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3LR;

CPU (2.5GHz): Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300;

Video card (GeForce 9500 GT): EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR;

RAM (2GBx2): G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM 1066;

Hard Drive (640GB): Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS;

Optical Drive (two, 6-48x DVD/CD RW): LG Black GH20NS15;

Card reader: Sabrent CRW-UINB;

Power (500W, ATX12V, 12cm): Rosewill RP500-2;

CPU Fan (92mm): ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro;

And of course a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers.How do I get the right computer fan speed?
the cpu/heatsink fan and any other fan plugged directly into the motherboard (mobos usually handle 1 addition fan on to of cpu fan) can be controlled through the bios and speeds are set according to temps...if you want them to be. That case comes with 2x 120mm fans..you might only be able to get one of those to work through the bios, and any additional fans probably not. In that case, you will need at least a 2-way fan controller. something like this will do:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asHow do I get the right computer fan speed?
depending on the case, there will be a mount in front of the HDD cage for a fan. This will intake air and move it accross the HDDs. It will then be exhausted out the back along with the rest of the hot air from the case. And yeah, it is a good idea to install one of those. Not needed for optical

Report Abuse

How do I get the right computer fan speed?
The fans will always blow or it will overheat as long as you get the right size you will be fine.How do I get the right computer fan speed?
There are a few choices; for the novice I reccomend a smart fan. It comes with a tempreture probe and automatically speeds up and slows down according to the heat in the system. The link below is to a good place to start. I reccomend the A1357 for your situation.



The other options is to buy a Bay control switch with its own probes and wire all your fans into that and have the built in computer handle it with the setting you choose. But the smart fans will work fine for what your asking.How do I get the right computer fan speed?
i would think the os would make a difference. your hardware seems to be ok. try taking off the side panel and getting the dust out of the system with a can of compressed air or an old shirt or use a vacuum cleaner if you have to (and be careful with the vacuum)

No comments:

Post a Comment