Thursday, September 22, 2011

TKD is not useless. Why? Let's ask Dan Hardy....?

Personally, I think TKD is not useless, but it's all of to individual to adopt their own styles from martial arts..... Now, MMA is becoming extremely popular and I am UFC fan, and most of today's champion all came from background of TKD and most Muay Thai. But mostly Muay Thai is being much used, however, let see what's so different about these two and these 2 styles and their advantages.



Dan Hardy Exclusive - 'A lot of my style comes from taekwondo'



Apart from Thai boxing, most of the traditional striking styles from the Orient have dropped by the wayside during the recent and rapid fusion of martial arts. Lyoto, on the other hand, has adapted his father's Machida Karate style to create his own unique brand of MMA.



Obviously, many fighters started off along the traditional martial art route. Georges St. Pierre demonstrates some of his karate background when he fights - especially in his earlier bouts - and I noticed that Dan Hardy, having trained taekwondo since the age of six, also likes to pick off his opponents more technically.



I asked him how much of his style is attributed to the South Korean national sport.

%26quot;I would say quite a lot of it, actually. Certainly a lot of the footwork and the movement. With taekwondo being an Olympic sport, and it being based on scoring points, you have to be very quick to move in and out and score your points without getting scored on. So I think a lot of the footwork that I use, moving around the Octagon, moving into strike and then getting back out again, I think a lot of it was taken from taekwondo.



%26quot;And all the way through my career I've never really taken too many shots in fights, kind of similar to Machida, I think that's because of the footwork and the timing of throwing the strikes from traditional styles like taekwondo and karate. So it's been very useful to me. Obviously I've had to adapt a few things to suit MMA because with taekwondo it's very easy to get punched in the face and get taken down, so certain things have changed but I have taken a lot from it definitely.%26quot;



%26quot;You can watch my fights. I'm always pretty light on my feet and that's from years of competing in taekwondo, especially as it became an Olympic sport the fighters I was coming up against were getting faster, so I had to adapt, but that was the point where they were just too fast.%26quot;



Hardy has also taken many useful elements from Thai boxing to create a highly technical striking style.



%26quot;I've had quite a few Muay Thai fights before, just around the UK really,%26quot; he told me in an earlier interview. %26quot;The first couple of years I was fighting pro MMA I was fighting Muay Thai as well. My main thing was I used my range, my kicking and punching like I do in MMA. But I did work out the best techniques for myself and my body type that would be effective in MMA through my Muay Thai fights.



He also likes to use the front push kick which, surprisingly, is rarely seen in MMA - and which I mistakenly thought it was the Thai boxing 'teep'.



%26quot;To be honest, that's more from my taekwondo background. With the Muay Thai teep you really commit to it, but in taekwondo you use a push kick and it's a much faster technique and I think that's why I have more success with it as I land it with more speed than a normal teep. That's where the effectiveness comes from, the foot work's slightly different to Muay Thai.%26quot;



Well, it seems apparently, Dan Hardy said it all.....



Let's also not forget many champions such as Anderson Silva, Cung Le, etc all came from TKD background, and later adopted to their own style...TKD is not useless. Why? Let%26039;s ask Dan Hardy....?
I think I understand your question some what.



The techniques used in TKD and TKD tournaments are abit flash as thats what scores the point, etc.



As the aim is to kick the targets the TKD fighters have on their shield thing and score points.



In MMA a more basic style is used to fight with all the flashy moves taken out as they seem to high risk, were there is a higher chance the shot will not land and you may get hit.



You cannot say that Muay Thai kicks are harder than TKD kicks, as explained by one of the guys who posted earlier on, this depends on the individual and not the style.



As Muay thai is a very basic art form, there are just a handful of techniques, etc it is used much more openly in MMA.



To sum up the answer to your question, the techniques mainly used are basic techniques (kicks wise) as your more prone to getting taken down, missing, etc.TKD is not useless. Why? Let%26039;s ask Dan Hardy....?
Nice book you wrote but once fighter realize they get more power from Mauy Thai kicks they drop TKD, just the facts son, just the facts.TKD is not useless. Why? Let%26039;s ask Dan Hardy....?
Its useless.TKD is not useless. Why? Let%26039;s ask Dan Hardy....?
Dan who?TKD is not useless. Why? Let%26039;s ask Dan Hardy....?
what exactly is the question?



lol dan hardy just did an interview for ultimate mma magazine and he said he doesent feel traditional stuff works thats why he got into mma

btw cung le did tae kwon do in his teens he got good by doing san da

anderson wrote in his book that tae kwon do is good but very limiting and that he prefers muay thai....

even if they started with it none of them incorporate TKD into there training anymore

if ya think anderson and dan hardy are doing katas and point sparring before fights ur nuts....

No comments:

Post a Comment