Thursday, September 22, 2011

Changing a blower motor (and/or resistor?) on a 1999 Chevy Malibu?

My fan for my Malibu isn't working. I've checked some websites and it seems pretty obvious that its blower motor related. I am also seeing a lot about blower motor resistors. How would I know if my problem is with the blower motor or the resistor?



My fan is not completely dead... only 98% (haha... =\) it will on occasion kick on at low speeds for a VERY short time until it kind of %26quot;grinds to a halt%26quot;.



I'm told blower motor is under the glove compartment so I crawled under there and took 3 or 4 screws out of the plastic casing under the glove compartment and the peice still didn't come off.



To the question... Has anyone ever changed the blower motor on a 1999 Malibu (or similar). Any idea whether my car sounds like it needs new resistor or the motor itself? How do I go around getting this peice of plastic off after it SEEMS like all the screws are out (that I see anyway)... or is there a better way to get to this beast? Thanks!Changing a blower motor (and/or resistor?) on a 1999 Chevy Malibu?
If you look at the resistor through the glove and see any rust or corrosion on the coils it probably needs to be replaced. I think you have to go through the engine to remove it though. You may need a screwdriver or something to pry it loose. If that doesn't fix your problem, then it may be the blower motor relay contacts are burned or pitted and that needs to be replaced. Both are inexpensive to replace. Check out auto zone.com or a GM forum for more info.Changing a blower motor (and/or resistor?) on a 1999 Chevy Malibu?
my best advice for you is to go to your local auto parts store and buy a Haynes manual for your car. they can be unbelievably helpfull. try it, for 15 bucks it will pay for itself. good luck.Changing a blower motor (and/or resistor?) on a 1999 Chevy Malibu?
If the motor is grinding, that would be a good start. They are known for resistors, but they usually work on high speed if that's the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment