Thursday, June 2, 2011

How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?

I'm in a new dorm at my college this year. It's been two days and I'm miserable. I won't change dorms - the location and size of the rooms are wonderful.



I have a fan blowing on me from a few feet away at full speed. (And two other fans going in the room.) It keeps me from sweating from the heat, but it doesn't cool me down. By tomorrow I'll have this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/custome

Which cools you down (because of frozen water) only directly at the face.



The cold showers are even lukewarm. Is there any nifty way to cool down, perhaps without using ice and cold water, in a building such as this? How do other people get through it?How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
Keep in mind that not only are you miserable because of the heat, you are miserable because you are back in school, in a new place, and not %26quot;feeling%26quot; at the top of your game. Mental misery seems to intensify physical misery!!!



I would suggest hanging out in the Library or other spots on campus that DO have a/c.... find some friends to hang out with and get your mind off of the heat...



At night, try stripping down to cotton shorts/tees and just a light sheet... with the fans and the cooler, it might be a bit better....



You can also help the problem by making sure the windows aren't letting in too much sunshine... keeping the room dark will help keep it cool... florescent lighting heats up a room!!!



Just remember - it will pass... if you occupy your mind with something else, the oppressive heat will soon be a minor inconvenience....



Be sure to drink LOTS of water tho... staying hydrated helps in the heat.... keep your hair up, your spirits up, and focus on staying positive!!! Just think of the stories you can share with your dorm-mates.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
Fans %26amp; iceHow to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
take ur clothes off





or u could get a fanHow to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
Get a couple of fans, they really help!How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
How about a portable A/C unit? You can buy either a window unit or a stand-up unit with hose that goes to outside to vent.



You can buy one from low hundred dollars at home centers.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
put a bucketof ice water directly in front of the fan..



cover all windows to block out any sun..



you can ..when alone...wear icecubes, covered with face cloths..in your armpits..and down your top..(yes.I know..weirdo...but..it works)How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
Try a spritz bottle (you can find them real cheap at places like K-Mart and Wal-Mart) and then after filling it with water put it in the fridge if there is one in your dorm. I have found this to be helpful sometimes when there is no air conditioner.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
I work in a building with no A/C, it has been 3 years now...and fans really are your only good alternative. Quite honestly, you will start to acclimate to it and it won't be as bad after awhile.

I feel for you though, I do get to come home and sleep in A/CHow to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
I know what I used to always use to cool me down was wrap a cold towel around my neck...that way I could occassionally use it to wipe my face also and keep my body temp down.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
I know you said without using ice, but if you get a bad of crushed ice %26amp; put it infront of the fan it helps it make it cooler (dont' take the ice out of the bag. I did this at work once %26amp; it actually made a difference. Just make sure to put the bad of ice in a bowl so it doesn't leak while it melts.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
dehumidifier is good. I am not sure what your price range,but this is a good list. http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/compare-dehumidifiers.html



These will cool the whole room down. unlike the desktop thing.



cheap 100 window airconditioner will do fine http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/DispatcherHow to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
I live in a apartment with no air because the owner won't fix it and in Kentucky you can't brake your less or refuse to pay for that so all summer i have had no air. you really do need to keep cool for medical reasons a few days ago i woke up with a rash and when i went to the doctor he said that it was a fungus. that everyone had fungus and bacteria on there body and that the heat can allow it to grow. the best way to keep cool is to get two fans put one in a window or door facing in and the other one in a window or door facing out the one will push air in while the other pulls air out and that makes a better breeze but it is not a air conditioner and pray for rain because it cools everything down.How to cool down in a non-air conditioned building?
Plenty of fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment