Thursday, June 2, 2011

Computer over heating? CPU done?

Hello,



As summer has come along it seems that my computer is runninghotter than usual. i have the E8400 core 2 duo at stock speeds. Last week i could run the computer for probably 15 minutes. When suddenly it would just crash, with no BSOD, complete power down. I credited it to heat because it has happened to me last summer. Oddly now I cant even keep the computer to stay on for more than a minute. As it boots I go into bios to check temperatures and the such. At first the cpu would be near 60 celcius, (i know that is dangerous) and would promptly crash.But it seems even after long cool-down periods it is crashing at 40 degrees. If I try to start the computer directly after a crash it will come on for no more than seconds and crash again. This is all very confusing because normally my cpu could stand up to 60 without crashing, now crashing at 40? I have cleaned out all the dust, reinstaled my heatsink (the stock one) nothing seems to be changing. One note i wanted to mention was that my fan speed is about 2100 rpm. I was thinking that maybe the computer is crashing because the temperature is rising too rapidly, or that the fan isn't staying at the minimal speed. I sem to recall seeing a minimum cpu fan speed of 2500 rpm. If anyone might shed somelight as to whether it seems that heat is the problem or my procesor is fried it would help a lot.



p.s. New heat sink is on the way in a couple days if the problem s not reolved by then, ill keep you posted on how the new heatsink is affecting the problem.



mobo: evga 750i FTW

cpu: E8400 3.0 ghz

Power supply: Ocz Xstreme 800 watt i believe

memory: Ocz SLi ready, native speeds of 1066 (reduced to 667 to eliminate them as a problem)



Thanks a lot : )Computer over heating? CPU done?
60 degrees Celsius isn't dangerous. I have a Corei7, and my Tjunction max is 95 Celsius. The Tjunction max for your E8400 is probably 100 Celsius. (Tjunction max is the temperature where the CPU shuts itself down to stop overheating issues.) You should probably run your memory at stock speeds too, sometimes underclocking can pose issues.



Try resetting your CMOS (my motherboard has internal and external buttons to do this). If yours doesn't, remove the CMOS battery and pop it back in.



I have an EVGA motherboard too, and their customer support is AMAZING. They can offer you specific advice on what to do, and I'd trust them more than anyone on this website. Call them up at 1-888-880-EVGA. Support is available 24/7 free of charge. And if your motherboard has a lifetime warranty (most do), and they determine the motherboard is at fault, they'll help you repair/replace it free of charge (minus shipping).



Good luck on resolving your issue.Computer over heating? CPU done?
The solution is just simple.



Throughly clean your CASE and CPU and ensure that the Heatsink is clean with no left out heat sink paste. put the heat sink paste sufficiently by cleaning the cpu with cotton and IPA.



Install a Water Cool System with additional Chasis fan on your system.

No comments:

Post a Comment